Sunday, August 14, 2011

Thirty Years

Wow! Thirty years! I've participated in all the school anniversaries since about 2006 and obviously I'm aware that I'm the only original employee of First Baptist School who remains on staff but still......thirty years!  That's a long time! It's longer than some of our school parents have been alive! It's longer than I've had two of my three children! I don't think that it ever occurred to me way back when that I'd still be here thirty years later. Actually, when we moved to Caldwell in 1980 we had no intention of being here more than a couple of years or so. The Lord had other plans for us !

There've been ups and downs through the years but I can truthfully say that I'm blessed to have been a part of the ministry provided by FBS. I have worked with three administrators as well as a long list of teachers and day care workers and of course, Mrs. Becky in the office (who has been with FBS for 25 years!) and each has added something special to the experience.

I've done just about every job there is to do at FBS except that of administrator (no thanks--NOT my calling!). I've cleaned bathrooms and classrooms and painted and hauled furniture all over the block. I've switched classrooms for and with people and have stacked chairs each Friday and unstacked them on Monday because we always shared space with Sunday School. I've gone from using an old fashioned spirit duplicator to make copies to designing my notes or whatever on the computer and hitting the print button. I've gone from making phone calls on a landline to sending text messages or emails. I've mediated disputes between students and occasionally between their parents!

And now, I find myself teaching children of the first generation of First Baptist School. When I began, the parents were in my peer group, agewise. Now, they are in my children's peer group.
I find that I'm often asked when am I going to retire? Perhaps that's a hint--I don't know. But I do know that at this point, I'm in no hurry to retire. I simply don't feel that the Lord is leading me to make that decision right now. I still feel as if I am learning from the experience of teaching and that has always been very important to me and what I consider a benchmark. I believe if I am still learning then I can still teach! And I very much enjoy having somewhere to go each day and working with people that I genuinely respect and like as colleagues. And students who make me laugh, make me cry, and some days even make me want to scream and run away!! I could probably write a book about my experiences but I probably won't!

To those of you who are parents of my students, I can't thank you enough. You are blessing me and enriching my life by entrusting me with the job of imparting knowledge to your children.
Let's have a great year!! God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment