Monday, August 22, 2011

The First Monday

We all hit the ground a-runnin' today! I'm still trying to work out my schedule of where I'm supposed to be and when and which class I'm teaching at any given time. That being said, things went very smoothly today. I'm tired, but not as tired as last week. And I didn't go back to school and work late either! That will probably happen tomorrow.

I love, love, love my first graders. As a group they are incredibly interested in learning! And they are sharp. I was asked this morning about a rock on my desk. I said that it is petrified wood. The student who asked the question replied 'that means it's fossilized.' Yes, it does. And that's a great big word for a first grader to know and use!

My History classes are going to be great this year. At the moment, third and fourth grade are studying about Christopher Columbus. We've discovered that he wasn't really the first European to 'find' North America. The Vikings did that about 500 years earlier. They just didn't hang around to colonize and they sure didn't share their find with anyone else. They were not known for 'playing nice in the sandbox' and most people took cover when they saw those Vikings coming!:) Columbus, on the other, hand told a lot of people and he evidently was well liked. And the rest is as they say.......HISTORY!!

Keep watching this site for photos and bits of information. Please check your email regularly as I will be sending you messages. Most will be for your particular child's grade.

The first Monday is done and we're off to the races! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment