Friday, August 19, 2011

The First Friday

Thank God it's Friday! And thank God we started on Wednesday and aren't looking at two more days of school before we get a weekend off.

One of my first graders looked at me around noon and asked if I was tired. Before I could answer, he stated quite emphatically that he was tired! It made me think of one of my former students who went home after the first day of school and told his mother that he went to school forever!

My first graders are awesome! They are intelligent and capable and very busy. The biggest challenge we've faced this week is convincing them that only one person can talk at a time and when the teacher talks they should listen! We'll get there. The thing is----they usually have something quite profound and important to say but still....... we must have order in the classroom.

Teaching History has become one of my true 'loves' in education! I've taught the junior high version for the last few years and this year I added third and fourth grades to my schedule. I have to do some serious 'hopping' from first grade to the other side of the building but the great thing is that my first graders are either at Music or P.E. or Recess when I am teaching History and I still have plenty of instructional time with them.

If you are a parent and you are reading this blog and you haven't received any emails from me this week you need to let me know. I sent a note home with each of my students and you either need to email me at the address given or send the note back with a correct email address. I try very hard to keep you up to date on what we are doing in each class, what is expected of your student, and when things are due. Our 3-8 grade students have assignment books but sometimes a "creature" named "Idon'tknow" takes over! If you know, then we can put "Idon'tknow" to rest!

I'll try to post a few more pictures this weekend or early next week. If you would like me to send some to you, just let me know via email and I will send them on.

Have a blessed weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment