Thursday, January 26, 2012

Musings..................

First graders are sometimes surprised to learn that their teachers do not live at school! Case in point--today: I was asked if the school bells ring at night. I said I don't know. I'm not at school at night. Eleven sets of eyes looked at me in utter amazement! They couldn't believe that I do not know the answer to that question. They think that surely I stay there round the clock.

One of the topics of discussion in fourth grade has been inventions of the nineteenth and early twentieth century. We watched some short (and often amusing) video clips of early efforts to fly. We all agreed that we've come a long way in a just over a century! Another invention that has created some interest is the phonograph. Most of my students haven't a clue what a phonograph is! And if they do, it's just some vague idea. I wonder what would happen if I mentioned 8 track tapes or cassettes?!!!

I really detest the sound of the alarm clock in my house. It goes off with regularity at 5:15 a.m. There are two of us who must get up and get out the door to work. I don't like to get up. Period. But once I'm up I take stock of the situation and I am happy and grateful that I have somewhere to go and something to do. I get to spend each day with some wonderful colleagues and children that by turns amuse me, exasperate me, challenge me, and love me! I'm so blessed. I can't imagine awakening without that to look forward to.

Thanks to each of you for sharing your children with me! Thanks to my colleagues for being such wonderful people. I'm blessed. Truly, truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment