Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Encouragement

Students from first through eighth grade attended the Rachel's Challenge event at CHS a while back. That event encourages students to be positive influences to their peers. It was excellent and I'm glad that my students had the opportunity to attend.

One thing I am very proud of this year is how my students (first grade and junior high) encourage each other. They are excited when someone does well on a speed drill or a test and they say so. Sometimes in first grade there is clapping and cheering to go along with a 'well done'. Those kids are doing exactly what Rachel's Challenge encourages them to do!

I coach Maps, Graphs, and Charts for PSIA. Today I watched as two 'veterans' gave some time and coaching and encouragement to a student who is new to the competition. They were patient and kind and encouraging and I appreciate their willingness to share their expertise with others.

I watch our kids in chapel and other places as they help with the younger kids or console someone who is having a rough day. Not only are they living Rachel's Challenge, they are living the Golden Rule. They are an inspiration to me!

I'll be honest and say that I occasionally have bad days. Maybe I'm tired or a bit down and I can be a grouchy teacher but there is always a child or two or three who do something to lift me out of the doldrums of the day and make me appreciate once more the school where I teach, the people I work with, the students who come through my classes, and above all the God we all serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment